The Bennet Cabin was built using the logs of two separate cabins originally located near Marshall, Illinois north of Interstate 70 off Highway 1. The cabin was built on land that was part of an 1836 land grant from the U.S. Government to Sexton Mount and wife, Tabitha. When the land was sold to Henry Musgrave in 1858, the cabin was on the property. It can be assumed the cabin was constructed sometime between 1837 and 1858.
The cabin was donated by Harley Bennet in November 1995 to the Vigo County Parks and Recreation Department. Park staff dismantled the cabins, transporting and then combining the salvageable oak logs to reconstruct the cabin as the village Potter’s Shop in July of 1997. In 2004, Doc Lee became the new caretaker of the cabin and repurposed the cabin as the village Veterinarian Clinic. He remained the caretaker of the cabin until 2020, when the Morrisey family took over the cabin as caretakers and repurposed the cabin as a family home where quilting and fabric dying would be demonstrated for visitors during special events.